Monday 27 April 2020

A Genesis.



A blog must have a beginning - mine is a number of failed attempts over the last one year to start a blog that I would have the discipline to consistently update. It started with a political blog. Then a travel blog. Then a lifestyle blog. Then a film review blog. Then a "whatever pops in my head" blog. Then a book review blog. Then I gave up.

It was maybe a week ago when I had the idea of doing some historical commentaries. I watched a few YouTube videos where doctors gave their two-pence on TV shows with medical themes; one involved a gynaecologist analysing Downton Abbey. This made me think, "Maybe I can do the same with films, TV shows, and books with historical themes...or even discuss various parts of History altogether!" Hmm, I wonder how long this idea will hold.

I sat in a little coffee shop near where I work with a little notepad, contemplating what kind of content would feature in this blog. How could I write about historical concepts in a more casual setting? All I've ever known is writing History essays. The last thing I want to do is write about the historiography of a particular issue. However, those who know me best would know I love historical fiction. I watch films and TV shows that depict certain aspects of a different lifestyle, whether it's the religious turmoil of early modern Britain, or the daily lives of midwives during the Cold War in London. People have asked me frequently in the past what is it about this genre that fascinates me so much - it's simply the fact that people lived life very differently to how we live life today. People didn't have the ability to send a message, free of charge, to a person across the globe within seconds. People couldn't type in a link and read any book they wished without needing to step outside their homes. The advent of smart technology has progressively made life easier and easier. No longer do we need to go out to get anything done; with a touch of a button, our groceries could be ordered and delivered in a matter of hours. Lifestyles change as the times go, but I am fascinated by how we got to where we are now.

Thus begins the genesis of a new blog. In case you're wondering what the link between this post and the image of Adam and Eve is, it's just because of the title "A Genesis" and I couldn't think of a better image.

I don't know if this'll be your cup of tea, but with any luck, it'll give me something to write about that I enjoy - plus I'll never run out of content because I always have something to say. If you know me, you'll know I never shut up with stuff like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Crown - Season 1 (review)

This is slightly embarrassing. The last time I uploaded a blog post was about...6 months ago. But I'm back, and I'm hoping to upload...